10 Health Benefits of Pomegranate Juice
Pomegranate is a seedy fruit that has brilliant red hue and is thick skinned. The origin of pomegranates is from Iran and they were brought to Egypt in 1600 BC. They were of great importance since they were used as food and also for medicinal purposes. In some cultures, they consider pomegranate as a symbol of fertility and prosperity. Pomegranate juice has many benefits to our bodies and skin.
The juice is of benefit as the fruit itself. The reason being the peels have got maximum antioxidants which are released when squeezing the fruit to produce juice. Taking pomegranate juice helps the body in easing assimilation of nutrients in the bloodstream. Usually pomegranate has thrice antioxidants compared to oranges and green tea. One glass of juice provides 40% of the required folic acid and vitamin A, C and E . Do not add sugar to the juice as sugar is inflammatory and can counter act with some benefits of the fruit.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF POMEGRANATE JUICE
Pomegranate juice has been in use for the purposes of medicine in the regions of the Far and Middle East for many years. It was used in healing of diseases such as ulcers and diarrhea. Pomegranate juice has antioxidants such as ellagic acid and anthocyanin, compounds such as Gallic acids and flavonoids such as quercetin which protects the body against diabetes, heart diseases, cancer and osteoarthritis.
- POMEGRANATE JUICE HELPS IN IMPROVING HEART HEALTH
The juice helps in reducing inflammation in the linings of the blood vessels and keeps the arteries flexible. It also helps in reducing atherosclerosis which is a major cause of heart disease. Blockage risks of the arteries is reduced which can cause restriction in blood flow to the heart and the brain. It helps in lowering the levels of LDL ( bad cholesterol) which is retained in the body and increases the amount of HDL (good cholesterol).
- POMEGRANATE JUICE HELPS IN MAINTAINING LEVELS OF THE BLOOD SUGAR
A study that was carried out showed that diabetic patients who drank this juice for two weeks had no significant increase in the blood sugar levels. The levels of the blood sugar is not elevated by the fructose in pomegranate juice as it does to other fruits.
- THIS JUICE HELPS IN MAINTAINING BLOOD PRESSURE
Pomegranate juice helps in reducing high blood pressure. In heart patients, it helps in reducing lesions and blood vessels inflammation. It helps in keeping the blood from coagulating and forming blood clots. It allows unrestricted flow of blood through the body since it acts as blood thinner.
- RISK OF CANCER IS REDUCED BY POMEGRANATE JUICE
Inhibition of growth and development of cancer and other diseases is made possible by pomegranate juice. It helps in eliminating the free radicals from the body. Strong and healthy immune system is enhanced because pomegranate juice helps in stimulating the white blood cells in neutralizing toxins in the body. Apoptosis Is Induced in the body where this process involves cells destroying themselves. Also it helps in blocking aromatase which is an enzyme that helps in converting androgen to estrogen. This hormone lays part in developing breast cancer.
- POMEGRANATE JUICE TREATS DIARRHEA AND DYSENTERY
Pomegranate juice helps in secreting enzymes that helps in proper digestion. To cure indigestion problems, mix one teaspoon of honey in a glass of pomegranate juice. This will help in curing the disorder.
- THE JUICE HELPS IN BOOSTING IMMUNITY
Pomegranate juice contains anti-bacterial and anti-microbial properties that are strong. They help in boosting the immune system. This juice helps in reducing the microbes found in the mouth that are responsible for infections in the cavities and staph. Of all the fruits, pomegranate has the highest potential in inhibiting the HIV transmission.
- POMEGRANATE JUICE HELPS IN PREVENTING ANEMIA
Inadequate red blood cells in the body causes anemia. Pomegranate juice has iron that helps in the red blood cells deficiency. Candied sugar mixed in pomegranate juice helps in controlling nose bleeding when it is introduced in the nostrils. The juice can be a remedy for red, sore eyes and falling eyelashes.
- POMEGRANATE JUICE PLAYS PART IN THE DIGESTION PROCESS
Pomegranate juice helps the stomach, heart and the liver by smoothing their functions. The juice controls thirst and it also induces hunger. It soothes infection of the urinary tract and makes the flow of the urine easy. Pomegranate juice contains high levels of soluble and insoluble fibers that helps in improving digestion and regulates bowel movements. For those who want to lose weight, they can take pomegranate juice because it has no saturated fats or cholesterol.
- POMEGRANATE JUICE IS OF HELP IN CARTILAGE REGENERATION
The juice acts as an inhibitor of enzymes that destroy the cartilage. Patients suffering from osteoarthritis are recommended to take pomegranate juice because this disease involves breakdown of the joints cartilage. Symptoms of arthritis and inflammation of the bones can be reduced by the unsweetened pomegranate juice. This juice helps in curing the erectile dysfunction and dissolving kidney stones in men. Neurological problems such as Alzheimer’s disease can be prevented by regular intake of the Pomegranate juice.
- POMEGRANATE JUICE HAS MANY BENEFITS DURING PRENATAL CARE
Pomegranate juice is a rich source of vitamins and minerals which are of much benefit to pregnant women. Minerals such as folic acid is of great importance in the pre natal diet. This juice has inter inflammatory properties that helps in healthy blood flow which is very much essential in the development of the fetus. This juice contains potassium which helps in reducing leg cramps that are associated with pregnancy. When taken often, there are reduced chances to giving birth to premature baby or low birth weight.
BENEFITS OF THE POMEGRANATE JUICE TO THE SKIN
- IT ACTS AS ANTI-AGING AGENT
Pomegranate juice can help reduce wrinkle and fine lines that may be due to exposure to the sun. It helps during the regeneration of the skin cells and also helps in preventing hyper pigmentation and occurrence of the dark spots. All this results in the slow down of the aging process.
- POMEGRANATE JUICE WORKS ON ALL TYPES OF THE SKIN
Enough moisture and hydration to the skin is provided because the molecular structure in this juice penetrates directly to the skin. Thus, it is of help in soothing dry skin. Pomegranate juice contains punicic acid and omega 3 fatty acids that keeps the skin hydrated and seals in the moisture. When an oily skin applied this juice, it prevents pimples and also prevents sebum production.
- THIS JUICE HELPS IN HEALING OF THE SCARS
Pomegranate plays a role in regeneration of the epidermal and dermal layers of the skin. It fastens the healing of the wounds process. Oil of the pomegranate seeds has nutrients that are of benefit in strengthening and regeneration of the epidermis. The skin is protected from the sunburns which is caused by constantly exposing to the sun.
- POMEGRANATE JUICE HELPS IN IMPROVING THE SKIN TEXTURE
Pomegranates helps in extending the life of fibroblasts which helps in producing collagen and elastin. They help in the tightening of the skin and prevents formation of the wrinkles and fine lines. Support and strength are offered to the skin by the collagen and elastin. A glass of pomegranate daily helps in lightening of the skin.
- IT HELPS IN GLOWING SKIN
A mixture of 1 teaspoon of grapeseed oil, powdered green papaya and grape extract with 2 tablespoon of pomegranate juice, then apply it on the face and leave it for an hour then wash it with Lukewarm water can be of help the skin to glow
- POMEGRANATE JUICE HELPS IN PREVENTING SKIN CANCER
Strong antitumor and antioxidant properties can be found in pomegranates. They include anthocyanins and hydrolysable tannins. Direct application on the skin causes ellagic acid and polyphenol antioxidant to inhibit the growth of the skin cancer.
- POMEGRANATE JUICE BENEFITS TO THE HAIR
Pomegranate juice offer strength to the hair follicles which prevents the hair fall. This gives the hair healthy and lustrous appearance.
PRECAUTIONS TO BE OBSERVED WHEN USING POMEGRANATE JUICE
- People who have influenza, cough, constipation or phlegmatic conditions are not recommended to take pomegranate juice
- Antioxidants in pomegranate helps in lowering the blood pressure. People who have been prescribed medication on lowering blood pressure should not take pomegranate juice. If they are combined, it can result to a condition called hypotension which is very dangerous
- People with asthma and plant allergies have higher risks to develop allergic reaction to this fruit. Such reactions includes difficulty in breathing, vomiting or the red itchy eyes.
- Pomegranate juice can interfere with some medications such as lower cholesterol levels known as statins. Interference with antidepressants, AIDS medication and narcotic relievers can also occur.
NUTRITIONAL FACTS OF POMEGRANATE JUICE
This juice contains vitamins such as
- Niacin: It helps in lowering the cholesterol levels in the body
- Riboflavin: It acts as antioxidant that helps in heart diseases, treats anemia, and minimizes the effects of cancer producing carcinogens
- Thiamin: It helps in converting carbohydrates into glucose
- Vitamin A: It helps to have a normal vision. It also helps the heart, lungs and other organs work properly.
- Vitamin C; It helps in development of immunity against diseases.
- Vitamin E: helps protect the cells from neutralizing free radicals.
- Vitamin K: helps in blood clotting.
- Folates: it helps in functioning of the normal cells and the growth of the tissue.
- Sodium: It helps in keeping the water and electrolyte balance in the body. It also helps in keeping the blood pressure
- Potassium: helps in energy metabolism and in biochemical cellular reactions
Minerals such as
- Calcium: helps in oral health and stronger bone
- Phosphorous: It helps in maintaining strong bones and teeth in the body. It is used by the body in synthesizing proteins for the cell, repairing tissues and promoting growth of the tissue.
- Zinc: It helps in body immune systems. It is of much help in cell division, cell growth, and in healing of wounds
- Copper:Helps in heart health
- Calcium: Helps in oral health and stronger bones. It also helps in preventing osteoporosis
- Iron: Helps in the formation of hemoglobin that transport oxygen all over the body.
- Magnesium:It helps in regulating blood pressure, it treats diabetes, insomnia and depression
- Manganese:Helps the body use other nutrients such as thiamin and biotin
- Selenium: It works as antioxidants which helps in fighting of the free radicals.