What is an Apple Cider Vinegar Diet?
Have you heard of the Apple Cider Vinegar and are interested in trying it out? Are you looking to add Apple Cider Vinegar to your diet? Or maybe you are just looking for information before making an informed decision. Here is all you need to know about Apple Cider Vinegar.
Also known as the ACV diet, the Apple Cider Vinegar diet is a weight loss diet. ACV has been in used in so many ways thousands of years back.Its uses ranged from detoxification, treating certain illnesses and weight loss.
This diet is basically made up of Apple Cider Vinegar, an acidic substance that is mainly added to great weight loss diet, it is used as an aid in fast, gradual weight loss. So the question is, how is the Apple Cider Vinegar made?
How it is made
This happens in a two-step fermentation process. First of all, apples are cut and crushed. Yeast is then added to the apples. This allows the sugar in the apples to turn into alcohol. Once alcohol is formed, bacteria is added into it to ferment it and turn it into acetic acid. This should take about a month, but there are manufacturers who use technology to speed up the process and reduce the time margin to a single day.
The acetic acid formed is the main component of Apple Cider Vinegar,also well known as ethanoic acid,. It has a strong odor and sour taste. It also have a very little calories and almost no carbs. As mentioned earlier, ACV has a lot of uses. Other than being used in dietary plans;
- It is also used to clean the face as it detoxifies it. It can also be used to soothe insects’ bites, such a mosquitoes. It can be used on the skin as a way to remove blemishes, acne, and pimples. By removing dead skin, it helps reduce age spots as well as reducing wrinkles, leaving your face youthful and fresh.
- It is also used to kill bacteria as an antiseptic.
- It has been known to reduce cholesterol in the blood, therefore, reducing the risk of getting a heart disease.
We are not going to look at the other uses of ACV. Clearly, it has so many uses, but in this article, we are going to look at its dietary functions, more so in people who are trying to lose weight.
Those who have taken the dietary plan to help them lose weight have been advised to take about three teaspoons of raw unpasteurized ACV as well as chamomile tea with two teaspoons of honey. You may use water to dilute it or swallow tablet which has been made commercially. For those interested in the diet as a way to lose weight, you may be wondering how to go about it. Here is all the information you will need about the Apple Cider Vinegar diet.
ACV Diet and Weight loss
The Apple Cider Vinegar diet has been used by a lot of people to shred some pounds over a long period of time. Although there have been cases of whether Apple Cider Vinegar diet is really effective. However, studies have shown that the diet is indeed effective. The combination has really shown some great results. However, there are still who are not convinced of its health benefits.
This diet has been tested and approved to help in losing weight, along with other benefits that accompany it. Among these benefits are as follows:
- It speeds up the ability of your body to break down and derive nutrients from your fats and protein. This is achieved by the acidic content in the ACV. This translates to a faster metabolism. A faster metabolism means that the chemicals in your body will quickly transform nutrients into heat and energy. This will, in turn, prevent the body from accumulating those nutrients in your body in form of fats in the case of slow metabolism.
- Apples contain a fiber called pectin. Pectin is considered a dietary fiber that will keep you satiated for a longer period of time. This will ensure that you do not eat more and won’t starve your body, therefore, allowing your body to lose weight.
- It also allows the gradual loss of weight. How this helps the body is by not preventing it from storing fat. How? During rapid weight loss, your body’s instinct is to save up fat because it ‘thinks’ that there is a shortage of food. So the storage of fat is more of a defense mechanism. However, when the loss of weight is gradual, the body won’t store fat because it won’t sense danger. That is why you will see most people who lose weight fast end up gaining it back almost immediately.
- It discourages the retention of water in your body and at the same time making sure you are hydrated.
- This kind of diet contains high amount of potassium. Potassium helps keep body sugar low which helps in weight loss. How? Low body sugar means low insulin, which aids in the storage of fat. Low insulin allows your body to burn fat thus helping in reducing weight.
- ACV also contains essential vitamins that guarantee the general health of the body.
- If taken before meals, Apple Cider Vinegar helps slow down the release of glucose into the bloodstream. This, in turn, slows down the digestive process allowing you to stay satisfied for longer.
- It also helps in the burning of calories.
- ACV also considered a natural antiseptic. Among many other benefits.
Now we know that the Apple Cider Vinegar has a lot of health benefits but does it mean that anyone can add it to their diet?
Yes, but remember, Apple Cider Vinegar is not to be taken solely. You have to include a diet as mentioned before. A powerful healthy weight loss diet would be appropriate. You will only have to take small amount of the Apple Cider Vinegar, which will be included in your meal or before meal.
Apple Cider Vinegar can also be added to salad dressings. The Apple Cider Vinegar diet is very acidic and if taken mindlessly, may have some different effects to different individual. This is why we have some guidelines on how to include Apple Cider Vinegar into our diets.
Guidelines for Apple Cider Vinegar
- Drink before meals. One of the reasons why Apple Cider Vinegar should be taken before meals is because as mentioned before, apples contain a fiber known as Pectin. Pectin will keep you satiated for longer and it will prevent someone to eat a lot of food.
- Dilute in water. Due to its acidic nature, it is not advisable to drink ACV without diluting it. It has been noted that a number of people who take it in its concentrated form end up having the enamel of their teeth corroded, and this might bring problems later on. It would also be wise to rinse your mouth with water in the event you take it in its concentrated form.
- Do not take too much. Taking too much in one sitting has been noted to bring about nausea. The recommended amount is about 5 ml which is about a teaspoon. Do not exceed 15 ml. Some will advise about 30 ml every day. It is advisable to talk to your dietitian first for help and assistance.
- Try taking it two to three times per day according to your main meals. This will ensure that you do not take too much.
- In case you are not sure of what you are supposed to do, talking to a dietitian or a doctor will make things easier. People who are also diabetic or under any form of medication should check with their doctors first to avoid complications in the future.
As much as Apple Cider Vinegar is a good dietary plan, it does have some adverse effects if taken inappropriately. Most of these side effects, however, are only found when the Apple Cider Vinegar is taken in excess. It would, therefore, be wise to stick to the standard measurements to avoid them.
Among these effects are as follows:
- Apple Cider Vinegar has been linked to indigestion. Cases have been reported where certain people have encountered pain or discomfort in the stomach or hyperacidity.
- It may delay the time taken for the stomach to empty. While this had been listed before as a benefit, it could also play out as a side effect. Here is how. There is a condition called gastroparesis, where nerves in the stomach refuse to work properly making food stay longer in the stomach. Remember that Apple Cider Vinegar makes food stay longer in the stomach. People with this condition, especially people with type 1 diabetes could be at a higher risk of having gastroparesis. Gastroparesis is categorized by, nausea, bloating, and heartburn.
- Erosion of the enamel. The enamel is that white covering of your teeth. As discussed a while ago, due to its acidic nature, the Apple Cider Vinegar may end up eroding the tooth enamel, therefore, causing teeth problems. Always drink water after having Apple Cider Vinegar as well as avoid brushing your teeth for at least thirty minutes after taking it.
- It may cause throat burns in children. Apple Cider Vinegar may cause throat burns in children. However, these claims are rather random. It is advised that the lids covering of Apple Cider Vinegar be made childproofed. It would also be wise if you kept the Apple Cider Vinegar away from children.
- Apple Cider Vinegar may interfere with drugs. People who are taking insulin and certain diuretics have found that the Apple Cider Vinegar interacts with medicine. So it would be better to talk to your doctor about it before taking up this diet.
Is the Apple Cider Vinegar a right diet for you? Are you willing to try it out? With the information given, together with the endless information on the internet then it should not be hard for you to get it right. Care should, however, be taken to prevent the side effects from discouraging us from going through with our desired dietary plans.