What are Diet Pills and How do they work?
Have you tried to lose weight over a long period of time, or are you currently trying to lose weight? You may be looking to lose weight but are afraid of going through all the technicalities involved. Or you are simply not sure which way to turn and so maybe you are thinking of using a faster way of losing weight by using diet pills. You are not alone.
Over the years, human beings have become more and more obsessed with losing weight. This has led to a lot of inventions to ensure that the need to maintain a certain weight clause is being met. From diets to different forms of exercise, people are finding new ways to lose weight. Among these ways is the Diet pill. A pill that aids in faster loss of weight.
Also known as the weight loss medication, the diet pill has been used for some time now to achieve great results. There has been a lot a lot of issues with regard to diet pills which leave most people unsure of whether to try them out or not. We are, however, going to look at the notion of diet pills, whether it is harmful or not, as well as a number of them and how do they work.
Here is what you need to know about the diet pills:
They are usually used for weight loss.
Most of these pills are prescribed by a doctor, as it should be.
They accompany a specific well-balanced diet and exercise.
There are both long term and short term variations.
They are either prescribed or attained over the counter.
They might have some side effects, which is not all strange to the medical community.
Avoid the over the counter drugs as much as possible. These are not only harmful, but most of them do not even work. The FDA does not recommend that people take over the counter drugs.
Talk to your doctor about any medical condition, or any medication you might be taking. If you are expecting a child also, it would be best to talk to a doctor who will decide whether you need the pill or not.
Diet pills should be accompanied by regular exercise and a well-balanced weight loss diet.
Your doctor should be able to tell whether you are viable for a diet pill.
Mostly, people who are viable for a diet pill include:
People who have a BMI count of 30 and above. Your BMI is the body mass index. It is used to determine whether you are indeed overweight or not. Your doctor will be able to help you determine your BMI.
People who have a BMI of 27 could also be included, only if it is obesity related.
If you are unable to lose a pound per week after six months of the proper approach and attitude towards your diet, proper exercise and proper dieting.
That being so, there are a number of approved diet pills that could work well with anyone trying to lose weight. These pills have been tested and proven to be effective. Although doctors will be the one prescribing them to you after getting to know your full medical condition, they are at times skeptical about prescribing weight loss pills to their patients.
This is because there are normally other alternatives out there, such as a proper diet and regular exercise which are the natural way of losing weight. There are also side effects to deal with, in taking diet pills, some of which may be quite severe. However, once you get your prescription, it is important that you keep in contact with your doctor so that they can monitor you closely and help you fight the side effects.
List of Diet Pills
Before we go to the list of diet pills, you need to know that they are divided into two categories. There are short term diet pills and long term diet pills.
Short term diet pills should not be taken for long. Taking them for too long could have some effects on your overall health while the Long term diet pills can be taken over a long period of time.
Short Term Diet Pills
Phendimetrazine– also known as Bontril, this pill decreases your appetite. It is normally with a diet that emphasizes on low-calorie intake. It is a pill that should be taken orally. There are, however, some capsules in production as well.
- Side effects should be reported to the doctor immediately. This also means that you should use it as prescribed by a doctor. Do not buy over the counter.
- During the prescription, ask the doctor everything you need to know about the pill. An example could be what will happen in case you miss a dose or overdose.
- Chest pains.
- Depression and severe mood swings.
- Increased blood pressure.
- Nervousness and restlessness.
- Pain when urinating.
- Severe dizziness.
There are more side effects. Talk to your doctor who will tell you everything you need to know about the side effects.
Interaction with other Medications:
- This pill does interact with other medication so it is best to ask your doctor In case you are under medication. Some of the medication it has been found to interact with includes; medicines for colds or breathing difficulties.
Didrey (benzphetamine) – This pill also decreases appetite and is used with a low-calorie diet and exercise. This pill should only be used for a few weeks. Do not mix with other weight loss medications.
Report these side effects immediately:
- Allergic reactions such as skin rash, swelling of the face, lips, and tongue.
- Severe nervousness.
- Breathing problems.
- Mood swings.
- Chest pains and an erratic heartbeat.
- High blood pressure.
This pill has a lot of side effects. Only take it if prescribed by the doctor. Do not buy over the counter. It should also be taken for a very short time.
Also, make sure that the doctor is monitoring you regularly to prevent the side effects from getting serious.
Learn how to monitor side effects so that they can be acted on as early as possible.
Learn how to properly take your medicine.
This pill may interact with other medicines so talk to your doctor if you are under any medication.
There are other short term pills out there that could help you lose weight. One common thing about them is that they have a lot of bad side effects and there has to be a doctor around to prevent complications.
Long Term Diet Pills
Orlistat – This pill prevents your body from absorbing fat from the food you are eating. Although it can be acquired over the counter, it would be better to have it prescribed to you by a doctor. Take with a low-fat diet. Take multivitamin a few hours before taking the meal. This is because once it goes into your body, it prevents it from absorbing needed vitamins.
Orlistat does not have severe side effects. Side effects include passing gas, leaking oily stool and increased bowel movements.
Saxenda – Saxenda basically tells your brain that your stomach is full. This kills your need to eat more food.
You are supposed to see some results by the fourth month of taking this diet pill. If you will not have lost 4% of your weight by the end of four months, then you should drop the pill because it will not work on you.
The mild side effects include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, increased appetite and low blood pressure.
You will know it is getting serious when you experience, increased heart rate, pancreatitis, and gallbladder disease. If this happens then talk to your doctor immediately.
Qsymia – This pill helps you cut back on your appetite. It helps to cause weight loss by helping you feel full, burning extra calories and messing with the taste of your food so that you lose interest and eat less. Qsymia is not suitable for expectant mothers. You should talk to your doctor before taking this pill. If this pill does not work on you by 12 weeks, then you need to talk to your doctor who will either change the dosage or help you drop it gradually. You are supposed to have lost 3% of your body weight in 12 weeks.
This pill’s side effects includes; tingling of hands, dizziness, and insomnia.
You should know that it is getting serious when you experience; faster heart rate, eye problems that could lead to blindness if not taken care soon enough, and suicidal thoughts and acts.
Talk to your doctor should this happen.
The reason why it is not suitable for expectant mothers is because it has been noted to bring about birth defects.
- Diet pills should be seen as tools for aiding in weight loss. This means that you must first adopt a healthy diet before including the diet pills. Exercise is also important in your journey to losing weight.
- Always go for healthy weight loss. Do not, in the pursuit of losing weight, deny your body important nutrients that would otherwise lead to a healthy living. The best way to do that is to talk to a doctor or your dietitian and they will be more than ready to show you the best ways to lose weight safely.
- Keep reasonable expectation. Plan ahead, plan your meals, work hard and that way you are not going to be disappointed. Disappointment is one of the reasons why people fail in achieving their dietary goals.
- When dealing with Diet pill, make sure there is a doctor monitoring you in case of any side effects. We have already seen that some side effects could be severe.
- Keep to the correct doses prescribed. Some pills don’t work well when the dosage is interfered with.
- Tell your doctor if you are on any other medication. Most diet pills interact with other medications and the effects could be severe.
- Over the counter pills might promise a lot of results, but their methods of testing whether the pill works are questionable. Some of them have had to be banned by the FDA because of their negative results. That is why prescribed pills are insisted upon.