The Grapefruit Diet
The grapefruit diet, also known as the Hollywood diet, has been around for a long time. It is actually believed that it has been existed since the 1930s. It is favored by people who are looking to lose weight fast, normally within a few days. If you are looking to lose weight, maybe in the event of an upcoming trip, or to fit in certain attire for a specific occasion, then this is the diet for you.
There is a range of different ‘views’ on the diet. This is no difference to what happens with other diets, however; here is what you need to know about the grapefruit diet:
This is a meal rich in protein whose main focus is to eat grapefruit or drink its juice with every meal. The grapefruit diet is recommended for people who want to lose weight fast because it is believed to work within 12 days, helping individuals lose up to 10 pounds.
The good thing about the diet is that it not only allows you to lose weight, but it also ensures that you do not encounter starvation in the process. You get to eat your way into weight loss. It is also seen as a way of kick starting your weight loss in case you want to add another weight loss diet after twelve days of grape fruit diet. This diet also comes in variations so it is possible to choose which plan works best for you.
First of all, let us look at the grape fruit by itself and see whether it has any benefits. These are the benefits that make grapefruit a great fruit to have and are not only related to the diet, but also to the whole body.
Benefits of Grapefruit diet
- Grapefruits are good for your digestive system because they promote its proper functioning.
- Good for people with high blood pressure because it helps control blood pressure.
- Lowers cholesterol levels in your blood.
- Helps relieve fatigue.
- Grapefruits are known to help in relieving inflammations such as those caused by rheumatoid arthritis.
- Contains anti-cancer properties. Studies have shown that the fruit can kill prostate cancer cells.
- Grapefruits have an abundance of vitamin C among others. The vitamin aids in the prevention and treatment of disease like scurvy; helps in combating stroke, treating common colds, lowering of hypertension and boosting your immune system. The diet, therefore, ensures or improves your general health.
Now to the grapefruit diet, like every other diet, the Grapefruit diet has some guidelines to ensure that you get maximum results. Remember, the diet can not work for long period of time because its composition of foods might bring about malnutrition and other effects. So the best thing to do is to follow all the guidelines given for the twelve days.
- You will need to cut back on sugars and carbohydrates for the entire duration of the diet. This includes rice, potatoes, and pasta. It is also recommended that you cut back on vegetables as well.
- In place of Carbohydrates and sugars will be high protein foods, fatty foods or foods that contain cholesterol. These foods include egg, pork, and red meat. A typical breakfast will include eggs and bacon as well as a glass of grapefruit juice. You can take the juice before and after the meal, or during the meal.
- You will need to take plenty of water. The recommended quantity is about eight glasses per day. You can also take a cup of coffee in a day. But you have to avoid sugars and sweeteners.
- Spices are not a problem. As a matter of fact, you can add as many spices as you want as well as salad dressings and butter.
- You will need to stay away from extremely hot foods or cold foods.
- The protein meals and starch meals should be four hours apart.
- It might not be suitable for people who are allergic to citric fruits. Consulting your doctors might, however, help the situation.
- Keep calories under 1000. The recommended calorie count is eight hundred per day.
- Eat till you are full, until you can not eat any more food. There is no need to starve.
- Reduce your caffeine intake to one cup in a day. Caffeine will only mess with your insulin balance and prevent you from losing weight the way you are supposed to.
Note: The idea of cutting back on starch does not mean you eliminate it completely from your diet.
This diet does not need exercise, which makes it an easier task to achieve.
We have looked at the benefits of the grape fruit.
Benefits of the diet
- The pink grapefruit is rich in beta-carotene which is used to deal with obesity issues. So the diet can be used with obese people. The diet helps speed up the way the body burns fat.
- The diet is rich in vitamins, as mentioned in the benefits of the grape. Other vitamins included are Vitamins A, K, D and B complex.
- The diet also has a lot of fiber, considering that grapes are high in fiber, which will keep you satisfied for a long period.
- You do not have to stop eating. You can eat as much as you want and as much as you This diet also allows you to snack whenever you feel hungry.
In case taken with medication, then the best thing to do is to talk to your doctor.
This diet has a number of shortcomings, and these includes:
- It interferes with the action of certain drugs in the body. There are times when the diet will increase the absorption of medicine or drugs that could be harmful to your body if absorbed in large quantities. Other times it could prevent the absorption of other important drugs. It has not been known to work well with certain antihistamines.
- The diet could lead to malnutrition. The diet is highly reductive of important foods so if taken for a long time, malnutrition might happen.
- The weight loss is temporary. As stated earlier, this is a fast way of losing weight for a short period of time. Speculations emerge that the diet only helps in the loss of body water. No actual fat is lost from the body. Chances are that the weight will come back if you do not adopt a healthier plan of losing weight.
- The diet could get boring. Eating the same kinds of food for twelve days can be boring and unstimulating for a number of people. This will eventually lead to giving up and dropping the diet halfway. This diet, therefore, needs a lot of discipline and dedication if you are going to push through with it.
The cons are not all the same, however. They mostly depend on the kind of diet you are taking. Remember that there are different variations of the diet.
When it comes to the execution, a lot of people might get confused because there is so much information on the grapefruit diet, yet not enough meal plans. This is mostly because the diet does not involve as much food as anyone would imagine. We are going to deal with the same kind of foods for the twelve days until you reach your goals.
Grapefruit diet plan
So here is a grapefruit diet plan that is easy to follow.
- A half grapefruit
- 2 eggs cooked however you want. You may choose to boil or fry them.
- A slice of toast. On this, you can either use jam or butter. Do not use the two of them.
- A half grapefruit.
- Poultry, this could be a chicken or turkey. Do not fry.
- Salad, which should be fat free.
Dinner will involve the same food as lunch time . You are also encouraged to drink a lot of water.
Here is another variation of a Meal Plan
- A half grapefruit
- A cup of coffee.
Remember that you can take coffee with this diet.
- A half grapefruit
- Two eggs, cooked however you want.
- This should be fat-free as well and one may include cucumber and tomatoes.
- A slice of dry toast.
- Half a grapefruit
- Lean meat
- This can include lettuce and tomatoes.
- A cup of coffee or tea.
While the grapefruit has been included in every meal, a variation where you have grapefruit juice could also be used. Grapefruit is believed to be important in the morning before meals.
There are many ways in which the diet can be tweaked and changed to avoid monotony and boredom. It has been noted that monotony may increases the chances of someone dropping the diet. Twelve days suddenly becomes too many days and too long to finish the program. So try to be as creative as you can.
You can also incorporate milk, but it will have to be skimmed.
When it comes to vegetables, not all of them are bad for this diet. There are actually a number of them that are recommended. As seen before, cucumber is one of them. The rest includes:
- Green onions
- Red onions
- Bell peppers
- Radishes among others
while here are the list of vegetables you are supposed to avoid includes:
- White onions
Things to Remember:
- Grapefruit diet only helps burn fat as a catalyst. This means that the food combination you are eating is the one involved in the fat burning process.
- Dedicate yourself to the diet for best result.
- You do not need exercise.
- For long lasting result, it would be better if you moved on to a healthier diet once you are done with the grapefruit diet.
The grapefruit diet is not that hard to achieve. The meal plans are not only easy to follow, but it also has a range of inexpensive foods for you to pick from. So for fast weight loss, the grapefruit diet could be the way to go.
But some health expert doesn’t recommend this kind of diet if someone has a health condition it is really advisable to ask your doctor first before taking this diet because it has some intervention with particular prescription drugs.